At one time, Zenon Park was home to three grain elevators. With the construction of the CN rail line from Crane Junction to Arborfield, the Saskatchewan Wheat Pool, United Grain Growers (UGG), and the Pioneer Grain Company all opened for business in 1929. A UGG field representative wrote in his report that “the soil is a rich black loam on clay and silt subsoil. It is a little lighter on the hills. There is no wasteland. It is a beautiful district and will produce a lot of grain (…) There are about 20,000 acres in crop in the area adjacent to this siding”.
Zenon Park’s original Saskatchewan Wheat Pool elevator was built for the Pool in 1929 by the A. Pearson Construction Company. The elevator had storage capacity for 35,000 bushels. In 1950, this was increased to include another 55,000 bushels with another 40,000-bushel permanent crib annex completed in 1960. In 1980, this 51-year-old elevator was torn down to make way for the new modern facility which still stands today. The elevator holds 70,000 bushels and a crib annex holds another 44,000 bushels. The facility is equipped with dual elevating legs, a modem attached office, and a 60-ton receiving scale. In _____, the Wheat Pool closed the elevator to make way for a new generation of the enormous regional grain terminals that now cover the extent of the province under the new name Viterra. Clément McCrea, son of ex-UGG elevator agent Laurier McCrea, bought the elevator from the Saskatchewan Wheat Pool in _____ and converted it into a private enterprise.
United Grain Growers (UGG) closed in 1977. In 1980, it was sold to the Saskatchewan Pool. Early elevator agents included René Fortier, Laurier McCrea, and Eddy St. Amand. Western Grain Co. operated their elevator until it was sold in 1950 to Pioneer Grain Co. Although the elevator had electricity since it was installed in the village, the Pioneer company decided not to replace the diesel power unit for electrical motors. The Pioneer elevator closed in ___________.